Head: Render 3D Objects onto Curvy Map

Simon
C.E.O.

Head: Render 3D Objects onto Curvy Map

Post by Simon »

NB: These images show CURVY 0.5 user interface, Curvy 1.5 looks different but the principles can be reused.

Hi this is a little walkthrough of a head I made to demonstrate the "Apply Children to Curvy Map" feature.

1) First pick the largest shape in the object you want to model, in this case the central ball of the head. This is the base object.

2) Make a bunch of simple curvy objects where the features should be. These are helper objects. In the materials wondow drag the "Res" slider down as low as you can while keeping the shape of the model reasonable - this will help speed up the later stages ;)

3) Then in the groups window - drag all the helper objects onto the base object. They will then become attached to the base.

4) Next select "Sketch on Curvy Map" from the base object's activity menu.

5) Increase the displacement of the Curvy map using the slider on the far right labled "Curvy" - you need enough displacement to fit the helper objects into the map.

6) Then from the "Sketch on Curvy Map" activity menu pick "Apply Children to Curvy Map" - time to make a cup of tea if you forgot to decrease the "Res" of the helper objects.

7) When the previous stage has finished you should see your shapes merged into the curvy map. The shapes are now hidden but still available for editing - or you could delete them.

8 ) If you want to redo this process - just paint out the map to 50% grey again and go back to step (6)

9) You can now paint into the curvy map - or SHIFT paint to smooth bits out.

10) Here is my head model with bump and image maps painted on. The eyes and eyelids are separate lathe objects.

I didn't think above head tutorial did justice to the capabilities of the "apply objects to curvy map" feature. Here is another head made the same way:

From left to right:
Base object. Base + Helpers. Base with applied Curvy map, Edited and smoothed Curvy map, Bumpmapped, Bump and Colour

These are the helper objects I used:

And here is the final base + helper objects model:

Some different views -