Beginner! :)

Discussion and updates on Curvy 3D Beta development.
Kool dude

Beginner! :)

Post by Kool dude »

Hi everyone, I have a few questions about curvy3D.

First of all, it looks really nice! I downloaded the demo, and I like what it's capable of. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think I read this somewhere, are graphic tablets supported? Would you guys' recommend using a graphics tablet? I got one coming in the mail pretty soon!

Also, on the website it says you can sketch, paint or even trace.
How easy would it be to simply trace around a reference image?
And from reading other posts, it would be better to trace the limbs seperate and then merge them together, correct?

I'm not a sculptor, an artist, or a modeller, but I would love to get into 3D modelling, I always have wanted to, but I found it very difficult with a lot of programs out there. Maybe Curvy is the answer to my prayers? :wink:

Oh and also, you guys' should have a section for questions only. :p
mykyl
Curvy3D Professional

Re: Beginner! :)

Post by mykyl »

Kool dude wrote: I'm not a sculptor, an artist, or a modeller, but I would love to get into 3D modelling, I always have wanted to, but I found it very difficult with a lot of programs out there. Maybe Curvy is the answer to my prayers? :wink:
All I can say to that is without Curvy I would not have ever understood those other programs. Now all I can say is I wish I had the time to help Simon port it to the Mac as I miss it and certainly don't get enough time in it anymore.

Cheers

Mike
Simon
C.E.O.

Post by Simon »

I use mouse and tablet with curvy. Tablet is easier for drawing curves and painting texture maps - while mouse is easier for tweaking existing shapes and moving objects around.

Tracing is where I start a lot of models. I load up a background image in front and left views - then draw round each part with Lathe objects. You don't have to draw too accurately - any slips and bumps can be smoothed out and tweaked afterwards with the widget tools.

Take this for example, to see front and side sketches.
viewtopic.php?t=2057

The trick is to draw 3 or 4 curve lathes to fit simple parts of the mesh - then merge them together (Not in Demo yet) and add the rest of the detail and shape with warp and widget tools.
speedy

Post by speedy »

One question how exactly do you load up the background images?
Simon
C.E.O.

Post by Simon »

View Menu
The name of the view appears in the top left, hold the LMB on this name to open a quick view menu.

This menu lets you load and clear a background image for each view, which is very useful for modelling from photos and sketches.

Choosing Overlay Background makes your background visible through any objects you may have drawn, this helps line things up.

Reset View puts the view back to it's default zoom, pan, and orientation: centering on the background and the centre of your 3D scene.

speedy

Post by speedy »

Excellant. Thank you Simon. Cant wait to finish work now to try this out.