Join Meshes (Better Booleans)

Discussion and updates on Curvy 3D Beta development.
Simon
C.E.O.

Join Meshes (Better Booleans)

Post by Simon »

"Merge" is a quick way to lump lots of meshes together, but it destroys small details and over-tesselates the model.
Using "Cut" and "Join" you can connect models together with only a small loss of detail near the intersection, and no loss for the rest of the model.

I've added a tool to select all the intersecting parts of the model, so you can easily select and delete them before joining the pieces back together. I will probably lump the steps together into a helper tool that does the whole process at once.

In the example below I have joined two lathes and a line object. Notice how the mesh retains it's even grid away from the joins.

mykyl
Curvy3D Professional

Post by mykyl »

I know for me on a mac its irrelevant as you are unfortunately going to drop mac support but Have you thought of perhaps having the ability to colour shapes?

What I mean is like an old app called Organica could do.

An old review can be found here. http://www.dxdigital.uklinux.net/bb/Iss ... ev01.shtml

Basically all the 'pieces' could be given a separate colour or be used to colour models. I used an se version many years ago to do cartoon models.

Mike[/img]
Simon
C.E.O.

Post by Simon »

The colour idea is interesting. I already "colour" each vertex with soft-selection brushes so adding an actual colour would be pretty simple - and would be fun to play with as an alternative to texturing.

I'm not sure how well that might export to other apps but I guess you could always bake it to texture in the end.

Can you use Curvy on Mac with "Wine" still?
mykyl
Curvy3D Professional

Post by mykyl »

Not tried for a while. Will give it a go.

Mike
pior

Post by pior »

Hi - I was about to try out this joining method but I seem unable to find the tools you are describing in your first post. Are these still available in the current 3.1.1 ?

Thanks !

P
Simon
C.E.O.

Post by Simon »

It is in the middle of the Mesh menu. Currently called "Weld to Parent" and a nearby command for subtract too.

I am impressed you made the models you have been posting without it!
pior

Post by pior »

WOW - ok got it haha, man that's powerful !! Especially coupled with adaptative subdivision to smooth out the connection. Impressive stuff ... Cool ...