Beta Painting Features

Discussion and updates on Curvy 3D Beta development.
Simon
C.E.O.

Beta Painting Features

Post by Simon »

I've been using Curvy to make hires game models and textures, and several enhancements have come to mind, do let me know if you have other ideas...

1) Pick Colour Tool
- Now can grab colours from anywhere in the Curvy window, so it is as easy to pick a colour from a background image or another model as it is to grab a colour from your current texture.

2) Paint Brush Size Tool - Before, you had to use the slider to change paint size. Now you can drag on the surface of a model and it will calculate the texel size of brush from the 3D circle you drag out.

3) Image Layers - In 2D I always use lots of layers - in particular Multiply and Screen layers - when I am painting. I have made a start at implementing layers in Curvy (Getting the UI for this right will take time)

Still To Do:

I want to try a new paint mode that operates in 3D space rather than in the 2D texture. This would be most useful at painting on seams and along edges where two parts of a model overlap (Previously paint would only be applied to one or other part)

I want to experiment with painting with shaped brushes, and patterns. Again this is extra UI complexity so needs care.
Simon
C.E.O.

Re: Beta Painting Features

Post by Simon »

I've made some significant upgrades to painting speeds. You can now paint with a 1024 pixel wide brush on a 1024x1024 texture with no slowdowns (Previously brushes were capped at 64 pixels)

I've also improved the blending so faint/soft brushes are applied more delicately, with a slight noise texture to remove banding.

You can now hold 'Z' to draw straight lines with the paint tools.