Guided Drop to Surface

Discussion and updates on Curvy 3D Beta development.
Simon
C.E.O.

Guided Drop to Surface

Post by Simon »

This is the most powerful fit to surface tool so far. You can wrap a complex 3D mesh over the surface of another complex 3D mesh.

Other tools in Curvy can map a mesh onto another object, but they will flatten the mesh exactly to the surface. This method preserves local depth in the wrapped model -see how the bars still line up over and under each other in the example below, and around the forehead and shin two bars wrap at different depths over the face. All of this was shaped in one click.

At the top you can see my source objects. The orange sphere is the Guide that you need to set up so the tool knows what "sea level" should be when it drops the mesh. This Guide does not have to be a sphere, it can be any model you like.

As with other "Fit" tools this works with a mesh selection, so you could easily - say - smoothly drop part of a model to a surface and transition to an undropped part.
Dan Silverman

Re: Guided Drop to Surface

Post by Dan Silverman »

Hi Simon,

I haven't had time to reply to all you've shown for Curvy 4, but I like what I'm seeing! Thanks for sharing!!!
Desktop Workstation
Intel Core i9-10900K 3.7GHz
128 GB RAM
RTX 3090 ti
Windows 11 64-Bit
Simon
C.E.O.

Re: Guided Drop to Surface

Post by Simon »

I'm revisiting some old requests with reuse of Curvy 3.0 tech. I'm looking at lots of shapes and thinking how I could make them easily - then designing tools to fit. With these distort tools, the range of shapes Curvy can produce with just a couple of steps grows a lot.

With this comes some added learning-curve, at the moment I imagine each of these tools like a special purpose Filter, you'd be expected to read the instructions and setup the inputs correctly. I'm going to work of including this information directly in Curvy to ease the learning process.

And I'd also like to improve the new 3.0 primitives, adding more options for variable resolution (so they are ready to be bent and distorted!)