About the icons...

Discussion and updates on Curvy 3D Beta development.
Midnight Carnival

About the icons...

Post by Midnight Carnival »

First I want to mention the new toolbar to the left of the screen. I'm assuming this is already a known but if it's accidentally closed out there is no way to get back ALL of those side bar options ever again without resetting Curvy..you can get back some in smaller windows like the sculpting options

As for the icons for the sculpting options, either way they are definitely going to need a tooltip popup to let you know what they are but
I thought the icons might be more obvious if each icon was a prmitive sphere with the effect applied

So for example a primitive sphere bubbling from one side would be 'inflate'
or a primitive sphere with a dent in one side would be deflate
while a sphere with a scratchy surface would depict 'noise.'
Simon
C.E.O.

Re: About the icons...

Post by Simon »

You can reset the top panel with "PANEL TOP" at end of "Extras" menu. This will get moved to "View/Panels..." menu with rest of them.

Tooltips are missing for pretty much everything at the moment. You can get more info from the status bar at the bottom of the screen. These are a high priority to get working again.

One plan is to add a "brush picker" popup with large, easy to understand images for each brush (like you suggest) as well as full names. I want to do something similar for mesh commands where there is an ever growing number and it would be useful to browse the collection visually. They could then be split into groups that do similar things.

I do like the idea of quickly openning a 'drawer' of brushes to choose from that snaps shut after you pick one. Much like you swap images by holding down and choosing from a quick popup.
Midnight Carnival

Post by Midnight Carnival »

Simon wrote:You can reset the top panel with "PANEL TOP" at end of "Extras" menu. This will get moved to "View/Panels..." menu with rest of them.

Tooltips are missing for pretty much everything at the moment. You can get more info from the status bar at the bottom of the screen. These are a high priority to get working again.

One plan is to add a "brush picker" popup with large, easy to understand images for each brush (like you suggest) as well as full names. I want to do something similar for mesh commands where there is an ever growing number and it would be useful to browse the collection visually. They could then be split into groups that do similar things.

I do like the idea of quickly openning a 'drawer' of brushes to choose from that snaps shut after you pick one. Much like you swap images by holding down and choosing from a quick popup.
Sounds good and maybe add a toggle to leave the box open if necessary
Simon
C.E.O.

Post by Simon »

Yes, that's a good idea. Did you know you can keep any of the current menus open like that - you just drag their handle and they become an independant popup. I'll do the same for the brushes.

I've just added a basic tooltip back in (The old one just stopped working for no reason!) At the moment they are just repeats of the names - but it might be good to get a little more detail in there, for menu commands too. Perhaps a 'training mode' with longer tooltips to explain what things do.