Can I reduce the polygons after I convert to mesh?

Discuss Curvy 3D - Ask questions and share ideas.
miladyk

Can I reduce the polygons after I convert to mesh?

Post by miladyk »

Hopefully someone here can help. I finally started working with Curvy after buying it a while back. Anyway I am making some cool things , however, I want to use them as meshes. But even if I put the resolution down BEFORE I convert , when I convert the polygons count is too much ( a crazy amount in fact) to use for my purposes. Please someone have a solution.

Please and Thank you.. Oh Simon....... LOL
sculptor

Post by sculptor »

viewtopic.php?t=1912&highlight=meshlab+ ... a72535feb5

suggest search forum for info about meshlab a free utility
it works fine once you have got used to its little quirks.

use quadratic edge collapse but only reduce by about 30% at a time
Simon
C.E.O.

Post by Simon »

I used MeshLab to reduce this Curvy3D horse:
http://www.aartformgames.com/blog/2009/ ... e-cavalry/

What kind of poly count are you aiming at (and for what end purpose)?
miladyk

Post by miladyk »

Wonderful horse Simon. Thanks Sculptor. I tried Winzip and Winrar and both have no idea of how to open the type of file meshlab is compressed with. Tell me is it as good as poly cruncher? I was thinking of investing in it.
Simon I am a Pro developer at IMVU and Frenzoo. I use Sketchup and Max2011(Max 2008 as well). I want to make knock your socks off meshes, that is why I bought curvy. I am making some cool items, but the polygon counts are outrageous. Last night though I converted a silver goblet to mesh and the count was quite low. I do not know what I did that was different. I made the other products resolutions low before I converted them too.
Do you think I should just continue to experiment? Frenzoo has a 1000 poly limit btw. It has been very hard for me to make quality products for them
Cheers!

Edit! I found out that 3dsMax 2011 has a built in polygon reduction modifier. I didn't know because I was used to the earlier versions that did not contain it. FYI it's the Prooptimizer modifier. I took a 177000 teapot down to 1100 and it looks great.
sculptor

Post by sculptor »

if i draw a simple lathe like a goblet and look at the resolution slider over on the right(say for example it says 2000)
then press the k key to convert it to a mesh(look at the slider again and it will still be about 2000)

if i use quick merge to convert the object to a mesh it will be about 50000

merge properties up on the model menu allows me to change precision (number of triangles) when doing a merge. (rough would have given about 2000)

another thing about the way curvy does the merge is the original size of the object, if we scale the model down before the merge we will get fewer triangles.

experiment, but be warned

SAVE YOUR WORK BEFORE QUICK MERGE :)

merge group keeps a copy of the original, quick merge does not.
Simon
C.E.O.

Post by Simon »

The resolution slider on object properties is best place to start - you can get good looking objects with only 200 polies sometimes. (Then make more complex things out of lots of <1000 poly parts)