Saving materials with 0bj files

Discuss Curvy 3D - Ask questions and share ideas.
0oseven

Saving materials with 0bj files

Post by 0oseven »

I just bought Curvy3d and am having trouble opening obj files in other software after I export from Curvy3d - objects load alright but no materials.

mtl files appear in the folder along with the obj.

I Looked at the the help and did not see anything to assist me to find out if I'm doing something wrong with the export.

Software used to open files - Carrara 8.5pro Lightwave, Daz Studio 4.5

Any comments appreciated
thanks
Last edited by 0oseven on Sun Nov 10, 2013 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Markku

Post by Markku »

I get textures otherwise OK from Curvy but specularity channel is always at max, so it needs to be set in other apps to suitable level.

However, I prefer to UV and texture in other apps because Curvy's UV Unwrapping is not suitable to very subtle work.

Curvy is very capable in sketching stage, but retopologizing and UV work is best done outside. However, what I really like in Curvy is that it is just wonderful mix between solid modeling, sculpting and poly blocking. Detailing is another matter, but as any artist knows, good sketch is the most important detail in planning...
0oseven

Post by 0oseven »

Thankyou for ciomment.

As you say can be textured in other application so from that point of view it's not a problem -

however I would still be interested to know why, if painted in curvy, the textures are not showing up when rendered in other applications
cheers
Markku

Post by Markku »

Did you actually render it in Carrara? I tried it in Carrara 8.5 Pro and it didn't show up in Assemble Room but it did show up in Texture Room and in final render.

Also, Modo 701 shows texture.

Maybe you need to check what you did; I used Curvy's UV tools first, painted with texture brush and checked after saving that texture was exported with model.
Markku

Post by Markku »

...and, for completeness sake, Daz Studio 4.6 Pro imported Curvy model with textures. My defaults are a bit funky, so the model didn't come in with correct rotation though. But that is probably due to my special setup, obj+mdd thingies.

BTW, if you texture using lighting to change looks of the textures, as far as I know Curvy is not capable of baking lighting, so that is not usable in other apps. But procedurals in other apps are anyway better choice, especially if you have very good renderer which support them.
Simon
C.E.O.

Post by Simon »

Objects should load colour and diffuse texture from the mtl file. Sometimes programs fail to find the location of a texture's file if it is not along side the model.

Perhaps you could post the contents of the MTL file (it should open in any text editor) and I can see if anything looks wrong? Thanks.
0oseven

Post by 0oseven »

HI Simon

Here is the mtl file for an object called spherehead.obj

Also attaching a screenshot of the folder contents where I save my tests so you can see exactly what was exported.

(Oh just discovered Forum doesn't handle uploads / attachments as far as I can see)

// mtl file: spherehead.mtl

newmtl Mat0
Ns 200
d 1
illum 2
Kd 0.776 0.776 0.776
Ks 0.475 0.475 0.475
map_Kd D:\CURVY3D tests\spherehead_i1.BMP
map_Ks c:\users\mike\documents\curvy3d\./maps/white.jpg

newmtl Mat1
Ns 200
d 1
illum 2
Kd 0.776 0.776 0.776
Ks 0.475 0.475 0.475
map_Kd D:\CURVY3D tests\spherehead_i1.BMP
map_Ks c:\users\mike\documents\curvy3d\./maps/white.jpg
Simon
C.E.O.

Post by Simon »

Thanks for the mtl.

I sometimes come across a problem when there is a space in the folder path - "CURVY3D tests" has a space in. I am guessing if you changed that to remove the space, both in the mtl and on the actual folder name on disk it will start working. Worth a try at any rate.

I'll have to research what the proper way to do paths with spaces in an mtl is...
0oseven

Post by 0oseven »

Thanks Simon

Half way home !

after changing file names as suggested i was able to see the textures rendered in Carrara.

However when open or import the file I am asked for file white.jpg.
I click cancel as I dont have that image so next it asks for another image which is available from the new window that opens showing all the image files in the folder. Selecting that the object then loads in Carrara.

I imagine there is something preventing this process being automated.

cheers
Markku

Post by Markku »

That is obvious, I think: see the path in .mtl. BOTH slashes and backslashes and "." in the middle of the path. But I think it's trivial to fix, since it's fully white texture. AFAIK it means same as 0.475 specularity without a map. (See .mtl)

However, that is probably something Simon *could* fix easily... :D
Simon
C.E.O.

Post by Simon »

Aha, yes the white path could just have a single slash in the middle.

Strictly speaking \./ should mean the same as \ but it might not work with all software. I'll add it to my buglist.
0oseven

Post by 0oseven »

Ok sounds like problem is easily fixed- look forward to update.
Thanks for responses