Making a gate

Discuss Curvy 3D - Ask questions and share ideas.
Estroyer

Making a gate

Post by Estroyer »

Hi folks!
I recently picked up Curvy and I really love the intuitive layout and mechanics.
Now I am trying to make a torii, like this:
https://www.google.nl/search?q=japanese ... 1&tbm=isch

What I can't seem to get, is the curved endings at the top ends.
I tried several ways, but can't seem to get it to look right.
I am looking for a right way to approach this.
Any ideas are very welcome!
Thanks for your time.
Simon
C.E.O.

Post by Simon »

Here is a example gate you can load in Curvy to see how it was made.

http://www.curvy3d.com/models/gates.cvy

The main trick is making the roof out of a loft, with the first curve running the length, and the second curve drawing a cross section of the ^ shape.

Then add depth to the loft using the object properties slider.

To get a smooth, man-made look you will need to smarten up your original hand drawn curves. I tried this two ways...

A) I uses "Redraw As... Straight Line" to flatten it, then used the soft move tool with a spike shape to lift the tips of the curve.

B) I used "Redraw As...Ellipse Arc" to make a long sweeping curve, then used the Ruler tool to flatten the bottom of the curve. And finally used smooth (S) to soften the join between the curved and straight parts of the shape.

To further flare out the tips of the roof you could convert to mesh and use the soft move again, pulling out sideways.
Estroyer

Post by Estroyer »

This is very helpful.
Thanks a million, I will get to it after work today!
Estroyer

Post by Estroyer »

Finally have time to have a go at it, but I'm running into a tiny problem: how do I make the rhombus shape?
Haven't been able to find it while going through a list of tutorials...
Thanks for your time :)
Simon
C.E.O.

Post by Simon »

I use the Slab primitive, along with the Ruler tool to make rhombus and other flat edged shapes. In the case of the gate it is symmetrical so you only need to draw a 'C' shape on the right side of the center-line and then turn on symmetry in the object properties.

Once you have a C shape Slab it is fairly simple to make it straight edged with the Ruler tool (drawing straight sections) and the Soft Move tool to tweak the final curve.