Question about performance

Discuss Curvy 3D - Ask questions and share ideas.
jn2002dk

Question about performance

Post by jn2002dk »

Hello

I'm currently testing the trial version of Curvy 3d and so far i'm extremely impressed

The speed with which i can model compared to standard sculpting software is nothing short of amazing

I do have a question about performance though

I seem to lag at around 140000 resolution. I'm not sure if it compares to object detail in other 3d software but i has me worried about adding small details to complex models

What can i do to increase performance?

Does Curvy 3d support sli and would enabling that help?
Are there any workflow tips i should be aware of to increase performance?

So far i'm modelling individual parts and then merge them all to a voxel mesh, reduce the mesh to 25% and sculpt from there. This approach seems to work fine until i have to add fine detail

Cheers for any advice
Simon
C.E.O.

Post by Simon »

Hi, performance in Curvy comes down to your system memory and graphics card. Curvy is designed to work on meshes around 100,000 triangles and you are right to reduce the mesh before you start sculpting.

You can keep using reduce while sculpting details, using the mask to select specific areas to reduce.

If you are looking to make meshes with much more than 100k, up to millions you would be best complete the initial model with Curvy then export to other software for very fine detail and texture - Mudbox/Sculptris/ZBrush etc.

Personally I sculpt large shapes in Curvy, and then use the bumpmap to add fine surface details without increasing the geometry complexity.

eg: Golem & Dragon - The detail in both of these is down to bumpmaps.
viewtopic.php?t=2810
viewtopic.php?t=2509

Finally you can split the model into parts. I often model heads and hands separately - and anything where I can hide the seam easily.
Last edited by Simon on Sat Jan 18, 2014 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
jn2002dk

Post by jn2002dk »

Ok, i see. I didn't even think of using masks to reduce the mesh, that's clever

Also, i seem to have much less lag if i sculpt individual parts before merging them. Is this correct or just placebo?

Thank you for your advice
Simon
C.E.O.

Post by Simon »

Yes you are right, if you merge later on in your workflow it won't matter so much that it gets a bit laggy at the end. Just make sure to use Join or Stitch Holes to put them together (Voxel Merge will destroy your fine details again!).