Importing Into Curvy

Discuss Curvy 3D - Ask questions and share ideas.
Gregz

Importing Into Curvy

Post by Gregz »

Hi there,

I seem to be having a problem with importing obj files into Curvy.

The file seems to import fine enough, but once loaded i cant see the object, and thus have to zoom out and scroll around to find it. Once i do the mesh seems twisted and stretched badly and i cant get it right from there. Obj made in Curvy work fine when i try import them but it seems anything from another program is having problems.

Is this normal? I dont have a clue what i could be doing wrong.

Thanks for any help with this.
Attachments
Import from Carrara
Import from Carrara
curvyimportex2.png (197.18 KiB) Viewed 14064 times
Import from Maya
Import from Maya
curvyimportex.png (181.72 KiB) Viewed 14064 times
Simon
C.E.O.

Re: Importing Into Curvy

Post by Simon »

(Sorry for delay posting this)

It is normal for different 3D programs to use very different sizes with OBJ exports - for example one might use a unit of a millimeter and another might use meters. This would make the same object 1000 times bigger when switched between programs.

When importing into Curvy it is better to Scale your model to fit the default view, rather than Zoom the view to fit the (huge or tiny) object.

You may even have a scaling option when saving from other programs, so perhaps you might find that a scale of 0.01 or 0.001 might work if the OBJ is too big in curvy... or a scale of 100 or 1000 if the OBJ appears too small in Curvy.

The 'normal' scale of objects in Curvy is about '2' which often works out to 2m when modelling people.
Gregz

Post by Gregz »

Hi,

Thanks for the help.

I found out just as you mentioned that it was my other modeller which was causing the problems. :) After just changing 1 setting, everything is now working perfectly!

Sorry for the delayed reply but work has been chaotic.

Thanks again for clearing things up :)
Simon
C.E.O.

Post by Simon »

Glad you found a fix :) thanks for the update.