FAQ

Discuss Curvy 3D - Ask questions and share ideas.
Simon
C.E.O.

FAQ

Post by Simon »

Q: Where is the Curvy Manual?
The manual is online here:
http://www.curvy3d.com/docs3.0/
and you can download an offline version here as pdf:
http://www.curvy3d.com/docs3.0/Curvy3D3.0UserGuide.pdf
and in html format:
http://www.curvy3d.com/docs3.0/Curvy_3D_3.0_Docs.zip

Q: How long does it take to learn Curvy?
A: A few minutes for the basics, a few days for the whole toolset. More Info + Learning Resources Here

Q: Do I need to run the DirectX installer if I already have DX10 or DX11?
a: The DirectX installer is clever - it won't downgrade to an older version if you try and install 9 over 11. However there is an extra component in the installer included with Curvy that contains optional Microsoft 3D programs called D3DX, you need these to be installed to run Curvy. So if you let the Demo installer finish, it will add this component to your 10 or 11 version and Curvy will run.

Q: MFC71.DLL is missing
A: This link should help. Once you download the dlls put them in the folder where you installed Curvy - normally something like:
C:\Program Files\Aartform\Curvy 3D
There should be a file called Curvy.exe already there. Put the dlls alongside that.

Q: Does Curvy work on Mac
A: Not at the moment.

Q: Will your program Curvy 3D ever expire?
A: No expiry. Once bought you have it forever.

Q: Can I re-install it on my computer unlimited number of times? (unlimited activations)
A: Unlimited Installs (so long as you are only using it on one computer at a time).

Q: When was the last version released and how often you update/upgrade the program?
A: Last release was in 2013. Before that 2010, 2006 (version 1.5) and 2003. So that's every 3-4 years.

Q: How do I change the name of an object?
A: Click the name at the top of the object properties panel.

Q: How do I group objects together?
Drag object names onto each other in the groups panel (to the left of the screen).

Q: Does Curvy work in Wine for Linux
A: Yes - But more slowly than the native Windows version.

Q1) Are all curvy shapes auto UVed using front/back projection, or do they use another type of mapping?
A: Lathes, Lines and Lofts use a much better UV system than Front/Back that evenly spreads the texture map all over the object with the minimum of seams. In effect this looks more like spherical and cylindrical mapping - but the UVs match the shape of the curves and your object. If you look at the 2D UVs in an editor they look like a uniform grid over the texturemap - proving they are spread out evenly all over the model.

Q2) Is the front/back projection planar, cylindrical or spherical?
A: Front/Back is planar in the front viewport. It is useful for mapping complex merged objects for illustration. If you want to use the models in animation or games I recommend exporting to OBJ and using a full-strength uv mapping program.

Q3) How are UVs handled when objects are merged? Are they carried over, combined, or deleted?
A: UV's are replaced by planar mapping after a merge.

Q: Does Curvy work on Mac
A: Not at the moment.
Curvy 2.0 works on Mac, but Curvy 3.0 is only for Windows, however it does work on Mac using additional software such as Wine.
Last edited by Simon on Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:42 am, edited 8 times in total.
moogaloonie

question about UVs...

Post by moogaloonie »

I know Curvy is for artists, but I need a more in depth understanding of its UV capabilities. I've read that some shapes are automatically UVed and that UV maps can be applied to the front and back of objects, creating symmetrical UVs. So here are my questions...

1) Are all curvy shapes auto UVed using this front/back projection, or do they use another type of mapping?

2) Is the front/back projection planar, cylindrical or spherical?

3) How are UVs handled when objects are merged? Are they carried over, combined, or deleted?

Thank you. I like much of what I am seeing but it is hard to tell just yet what Curvy can and can't do.
Simon
C.E.O.

Post by Simon »

moogaloonie: Answered you Qs in the FAQ
khauul33

Re: FAQ

Post by khauul33 »

I've downloaded the demo and each time I open it it freezes. Is there a way to fix this? I've uninstall and re-install but, the same thing happens.
Simon
C.E.O.

Re: FAQ

Post by Simon »

Hi khauul33, I recommend downloading the demo again (incase the download had a problem) then reinstall from the new download - making sure to allow the DirectX install, even if you think you already have it.
Also - were there any error messages when it failed?