Easy sculpting minotaur tutorial available somewhere ?

Kato

Easy sculpting minotaur tutorial available somewhere ?

Post by Kato »

I found on webarchive for the old curvy forum, the "Easy sculpting minotaur" tutorial but sadly the tutorial was not save on webarchive.

webarchive link: https://web.archive.org/web/20060519022 ... um=2&pos=3

Someone have save this tutorial ?
Simon
C.E.O.

Re: Easy sculpting minotaur tutorial available somewhere ?

Post by Simon »

Like most of my organic sculpts this was lots of lathe objects. However in this case I then added geometry triangle by triangle (I think) to make the skin. That feature never made it into a release version of Curvy (and hence probably why the tutorial was deleted). But the good news is that much more useful features took over that role - in particular Voxel Merge that does the skin creation job in moments compared to the hours spent on this model.

Also - this was pre-brush-sculpting in Curvy, so all the details had to be modelled in Lathes. These days I would just make a much simpler base mesh and use the brush tools to add the smaller muscle details.

Simon
C.E.O.

Post by Simon »

This was made pre 2.0, very early days for Curvy. I've searched my offline archives and can't find a mention of the tutorial that went with this. I found a couple more screenshots of this model, but just different angles, not a step-by-step. The only bit that was useful was a note to start out your ideas with sketches first.

If you wanted to reproduce the triangle by triangle approach you can export the Lathes model into something like Blender to draw the triangles over, or even use one of the newer remeshing tools.

I've found some other screns from around that time, and I remember it was slightly easier than placing individual triangles - you would click to place sequences of edges, and then could stitch nearby sequences together to make triangles. After making a simple mesh I would subdivide and smooth to make the final skin (that bit is still in Curvy).
Simon
C.E.O.

Post by Simon »

Found a couple more Minotaur images - first is a very early test of using automatic merging (Voxels)

And the second was a raytracing test (also didn't make it into a release of Curvy)

Kato

Post by Kato »

Thanks Simon for the early screenshots of the minotaur and the explanations, yes with the recent Curvy this will be more fast to do with the voxel merge this help a lot.

It's really a bad ass minotaur from greek history that will kill every heroes lost in the labyrinth :lol: .
Kato

Post by Kato »

I found more minotaur screenshots on webarchive:
Attachments
minosketch.JPG
minosketch.JPG (18.5 KiB) Viewed 25616 times
minos.JPG
minos.JPG (9.63 KiB) Viewed 25616 times
mino1.JPG
mino1.JPG (56.82 KiB) Viewed 25616 times
Kato

Post by Kato »

And the last
Attachments
mino_fire.JPG
mino_fire.JPG (69.8 KiB) Viewed 25615 times
normal_minom.JPG
normal_minom.JPG (13.83 KiB) Viewed 25616 times
Simon
C.E.O.

Post by Simon »

This one is the crucial step. Redrawing the initial sketches in a clear front & side view making sure the size of each part lines up across the page. This makes the actual sculpting in Lathes step a breeze as you can load these images in as backdrops to draw over in Curvy.

(Note: the sketches can be rough as you like - the sculpt can still come out fine!)