Second life tutorials that aren't for sculpties?

Discuss Curvy 3D - Ask questions and share ideas.
steveyos

Second life tutorials that aren't for sculpties?

Post by steveyos »

I made a marshmallow in curvy:

Imported it into blender to save as .dae where it was turned into a marshmallow golf ball for some reason:

Land impact 23? How?!

I also made a vase that was both going to have an upload cost and land impact of 500+. Somebody help me please.
Simon
C.E.O.

Post by Simon »

Hi,
I'm not up to speed on SL costs but I can guess it comes down to triangle count. In Curvy you can reduce the triangle count of most objects using the resolution slider in the object properties channel, and for more complex objects you can use mesh simplification to reduce triangles (You'll have to use simplification if you've used sculpt tools on the model).

As to the golf-ball effect, I've not see that before in blender imports. It looks like each triangle has been split from its neighbours. I know in other software you would "weld" or "merge" the vertices to join them back together. (Curvy exports a smooth skin, so I can only guess an OBJ import setting in Blender is separating the triangles again).

You should be able to make a detailed marshmallow in under 500 tris, and a low-res one in under 100.

I'll have to experiment more with SL uploading before I can offer an updated tutorial.
Markku

Post by Markku »

Probably that's sculpted objects and Blender just shows it unsmoothed. You can smooth it inside Blender, it only changes normals, not geometry.

If you make a Lathe and export it without any sculpting, it's pure quad object, very low poly. I guess Second Life likes more low poly objects? You can easily make marshmallow shape that way.

I don't know about SL, but there are a lot of tutorials around about optimising content for SL.
Simon
C.E.O.

Post by Simon »

I just noticed there is a "Generate Normals" option in the SL dialog - ticking that should remove the golf-ball effect.