The Picasso point

Discuss Curvy 3D - Ask questions and share ideas.
sculptor

The Picasso point

Post by sculptor »

Pablo Picasso when he realized his traditional portraiture was made redundant by photography moved to cubism.
Our life is now controlled in many ways by algorithms running inside computer chips.
Artificial Intelligence that is:- huge data sets, and probabilities run on our often stolen private data, is used
to develop technologies that aim to increase profits for the big boys and reduce human participation.
We seem to have moved from us telling computers what to do to vica versa.

I think, that as artists we have a responsibility in some way to counter that dehumanizing culture in our work.

Would one way be to aim to produce work that no algorithm could determine ? A sort of Pablo Picasso idea ?

Just thoughts open to comment :)
Simon
C.E.O.

Re: The Picasso point

Post by Simon »

Algorithms are great at copying designs and styles. I expect someone could write an algorithm to turn photos into Picasso style... but that's all derivative.

I do sometimes wonder if my sculpts should be more artistic and less realistic, but for me it is what I enjoy making.
sculptor

Re: The Picasso point

Post by sculptor »

but for me it is what I enjoy making
I think "enjoy making" is the key, people used to enjoy their crafts-ship in so many trades.
Now it seems the target of most algorithms across the world is for more profit and reduction of costs (often staff).

At the extreme, I read that at the one amazon warehouse the robots run the warehouse and drop the awkward packages
down into a pit where the humans work. (whether that is true or not, I do not know )

It was the message of the art rather than the form it takes that I was getting at. Humans can still include hidden and subtle
messages in their art that algorithms would have great problems resolving.